Oneida, NY 13421
Oneida Health is an independent 101-bed acute care community hospital and a 160-bed extended-care facility (ECF) and short-term rehab facility licensed by the State of New York and operated by Oneida Health Systems, Inc., a New York not-for-profit corporation. The hospital is Joint Commission accredited.
We are proud to share that we have recognized for several national awards based upon safety of care as well as the patient experience of care. The first recognition is provided by The Leapfrog Group, a nationally recognized non-profit organization who reviews 30 patient quality and safety measures and assigns a letter grade to over 2,600 hospitals nationally based upon outcomes. The fall 2019 letter grade for OHC is a “B.”, our eighth consecutive “A” or “B”. Our hospital was also awarded 4 Stars for Patient Experience.
The second recognition is for the Healthgrades Patient Safety Excellence Award. Our hospital is among the top 10% nationally for patient safety and is 1 of only 16 hospitals in New York to receive this award for 2019. The third recognition is for the Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience Award. Our hospital is among the top 10% nationally for patient experience and is 1 of only 8 hospitals in New York to receive this award for 2019…with Oneida Health as the only hospital in New York State to receive both awards for 2019! We are also very proud of our CMS 4-Star overall rating for patient experience and CMS 5-Star for quality measures.
The Payroll Specialist is responsible for the coordination and processing of the biweekly payroll, ensuring the accurate and timely processing of payroll, including the payment of Federal and State taxes. Must be able to coordinate and direct information, and maintain accurate payroll records. Must keep current on Federal and State regulations as they relate to payroll issues and ensure that they are being followed. The Payroll Specialist should be able to investigate and resolve payroll issues and ensure strict compliance with company and regulatory standards.
Essential Duties and Major responsibilities
- Reviews timecards to verify work rules and hours.
- Maintains and calculates employee status, rate of pay, paid days off balances and retroactive payments.
- Balances and completes the payroll by processing payroll checks for distribution and direct deposits.
- Processes and Issues Special Checks for PDO Cash Pay Backs, Longevity Bonuses, Sign on Bonuses all other types of separate checks and for Physician’s monthly and quarterly payments.
- Processes checks for all payroll deductions such as federal, state, and social security taxes.
- Maintains components of the time and attendance system such as work schedules, work rules, labor levels, pay codes and access levels and components of the Payroll dictionaries in the Meditech system.
- Reconciles payroll deductions for the pay period
- Responds to employee questions regarding payroll
- Prepares documentation for annual worker’s compensation audit and the annual financial statement and pension audits.
- Explains to department heads how timecards should be completed and contact them bi-weekly with errors that need corrections.
- Prepares quarterly and annually payroll reports as required by federal and state governments.
- Reconciles and prepares W-2 forms for employees. Uploads the W-3 form to the IRS once completed.
- Coordinates payroll system with Information Systems concerning changes and processing.
- Compiles various data, statistics, surveys and reports as required by Finance and Personnel Departments.
- Other duties as assigned by Controller or CFO
- Requires knowledge of accounting as normally acquired through completion of an Associate’s Degree in Accounting or related field.
- Requires a basic knowledge of IRS tax regulations, spreadsheet applications and payroll software.
- 3-5 years payroll experience required; experience as sole specialist preferred
- Must possess excellent communication, problem solving, and leadership skills,
- Must be able to work autonomously and have computer skills in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience with Kronos required; MediTech strongly preferred