Oneida Health is an independent 101-bed acute care community hospital and a 160-bed extended-care facility (ECF) and short-term rehab facility licensed by the State of New York and operated by Oneida Health Systems, Inc., a New York not-for-profit corporation. The hospital is Joint Commission accredited.
We are proud to share that we have recognized for several national awards based upon safety of care as well as the patient experience of care. The first recognition is provided by The Leapfrog Group, a nationally recognized non-profit organization who reviews 30 patient quality and safety measures and assigns a letter grade to over 2,600 hospitals nationally based upon outcomes. The fall 2019 letter grade for OHC is a “B.”, our eighth consecutive “A” or “B”. Our hospital was also awarded 4 Stars for Patient Experience.
The second recognition is for the Healthgrades Patient Safety Excellence Award. Our hospital is among the top 10% nationally for patient safety and is 1 of only 16 hospitals in New York to receive this award for 2019. The third recognition is for the Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience Award. Our hospital is among the top 10% nationally for patient experience and is 1 of only 8 hospitals in New York to receive this award for 2019…with Oneida Health as the only hospital in New York State to receive both awards for 2019! We are also very proud of our CMS 4-Star overall rating for patient experience and CMS 5-Star for quality measures.
- Prepares operating room with necessary sterile supplies and equipment.
- Assists with skin preparation and draping of patients prior to operations.
- Set up sterile instrument table and assists surgeon during operative procedure.
- Maintains a supply of sponges, counts sponges, needles and instruments, and cares for specimens.
- Cleans or assists in cleaning the operating room for the next case, after clean and contaminated cases gathering instruments for sterilization.
- Positions patients on operating table and remains with them until the surgical team arrives.
- Assists surgeon with gowns, masks and gloves prior to and post operative.
- Holds retractors, cuts sutures and sponges incisions as a member of the operating team.
- Assist Anesthesiologist in preparing the patient for anesthesia prior to and during operative procedures.
- Assists with post-operative dressings and the application of casts.
- Performs daily damp dusting and cleaning of operating room area to ensure antiseptic procedures are followed.
- Transports patients to and from the operating room as required.
- Cleans and stores surgical instruments and equipment before and after use.
- Orders operating room supplies and fills orders for sterile equipment as needed
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Good knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of operating room technology, including sterilization procedures.
- Good knowledge of hospital sanitation and equipment.
- Ability to understand and carry out exactly detailed oral and written instructions.
- Ability to use and understand medical terminology to fulfill quickly and accurately instructions from nurses and surgeons.
- Ability to get along well with patients, co-workers and surgeons.
- Ability to work in an operating room.
- Ability to attain set standards of asepsis and antisepsis.
Graduation from a regionally accredited or NYS registered college or university with an associate degree in Surgical Technology or a related field. Current OR and/or Surgical Scrub experience preferred. Will accept grandfathered experience in lieu of certification.
Compensation / Benefits
Competitive salary and excellent benefits, including 403(b) with both matching and discretionary contributions, generous health insurance benefits, paid life/LTD insurance and 29 paid days off to start.
About Oneida Healthcare
Oneida Health’s patients never have to sacrifice local accessibility for world-class care. Over twenty local care centers and our community of 150 employed and private-practice physician partners means an ever-expanding pool of professional expertise, progressive medical technology and treatment options.
Oneida Health provides ready access to a full complement of services including: 24/7 Emergency Department; Modern Inpatient Facilities; EHR; State of the Art Operating Suites; da Vinci Robotic Surgery; Modern Birthing Center; Outpatient Rehab Center; Hospital-Operated Primary and Specialty Care Practices and a 160-bed Skilled Nursing and Rehab Center. The Circle of Care means “Exceptional Care…Always!”
Oneida, NY is a unique community with beautiful tree lined streets, sprawling parks and playgrounds, and convenient shopping. Available housing includes everything from wonderful old 19th century Victorians, to condominiums, to the house of your choice in a variety of new developments. Oneida and neighboring communities offer excellent school systems with records of academic excellence and student success. The city also boasts a progressive library, and many other easily accessible services. Oneida is equidistant between Syracuse to its west and Utica to its east, with beautiful Oneida Lake just 5 miles north. Finger Lakes wine country and the majestic Adirondack mountains are easy day trips, with Toronto, Montreal, Boston, Philadelphia and New York City all within a 5 hour drive. Syracuse University sports are a major source of regional pride and excitement and two world class shopping and entertainment destination – Turning Stone Casino and Destiny USA – are just minutes away.