Oneida Health is an independent 101-bed acute care community hospital and a 160-bed extended-care facility (ECF) and short-term rehab facility licensed by the State of New York and operated by Oneida Health Systems, Inc., a New York not-for-profit corporation. The hospital is Joint Commission accredited.
We are proud to share that we have recognized for several national awards based upon safety of care as well as the patient experience of care. The first recognition is provided by The Leapfrog Group, a nationally recognized non-profit organization who reviews 30 patient quality and safety measures and assigns a letter grade to over 2,600 hospitals nationally based upon outcomes. The fall 2019 letter grade for OHC is a “B.”, our eighth consecutive “A” or “B”.
The second recognition is for the Healthgrades Patient Safety Excellence Award. Our hospital is among the top 10% nationally for patient safety and is 1 of only 16 hospitals in New York to receive this award for 2019. The third recognition is for the Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience Award. Our hospital is among the top 10% nationally for patient experience and is 1 of only 8 hospitals in New York to receive this award for 2019…with Oneida Health as the only hospital in New York State to receive both awards for 2019! We are also very proud of our CMS 4-Star overall rating for patient experience and CMS 5-Star for quality measures.
The purpose of this position varies, depending on the specific duties assigned; however, the main responsibility is to analyze the medical records for completeness, ensuring that all regulatory requirements are met. The main responsibilities include; review of each record type (IP or OP) for completeness and assigning deficiencies to the providers, as needed, and removing the deficiencies when completed. Other responsibilities may include; duties related to the Master Patient Index, oversight of the Physician suspension process, answering the telephone, document scanning, quality assurance, testing items in the EMR, etc.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS
- Completes Deficiency Analysis on all required medical records, collaborating with Scanning Technicians to ensure all records are received, scanned and processed.
- Performs Deficiency Analysis via Meditech on records for completeness and accuracy according to established standards (JC, State, MS R&R)
- Accurately assigns form IDs and electronic signature functions for all documents identified that need clinician signature:Timeliness: Within Four days of discharge; Quality:Ensure that all required reports, signatures, etc. are present or identified as deficient.
- Maintains accurate medical record “filing” within the Meditech MPI; including duplicate MRN investigation, service area inaccuracies, incorrect documentation on wrong account, etc. that are identified by HIM or by another department. This involves follow-up with ancillary departments and completion of the correction tool.
- Regularly runs Meditech reports to identify possible duplicate MRNs and, after investigation, merges any records accordingly. Notifies merges to other ancillary departments who maintain a separate registration system; and notifies RHIO according to their process.
- Performs all required Meditech functions as efficiently as possible and according to outlined procedure. Utilizes all applications for data retrieval, tracking, analyzing etc. (EMR/ELR).
- Is a key contributor with the implementation of new or revised documentation workflow in Meditech, by working closely with the IT analysts and department leaders, ensuring documentation is complete and accurate in both the EMR and the Echart.
- Serves as receptionist for office by answering telephones and giving out routine information properly and routing caller appropriately if necessary. This will be done tactfully, professionally and in a friendly manner.
- Receives and logs phone and written requests for information in the Meditech Release of Information application and responds according to established departmental policy and state/federal laws regarding release of information as well as ensuring proper authorization is received.
- Responds to Portal requests from our patients and assists with monitoring and follow-up with the portal access error reports.
- Treats all customers and co-workers in a caring, helpful and respectful manner, always displaying a willingness to assist. Exhibits exceptional customer service attributes with all interpersonal relationships.
- Interacts with medical staff effectively and professionally.
- Provides training for clinical students, as well as new employees.
- Provides coverage for other areas in the department and performs additional duties as requested.
- Displays adaptability in order to meet changing conditions in problem situations.
- Will be aware of and report any opportunities/instances of continuous process improvement.
- Will be aware of and abide by all corporate and dept compliance policies and procedures.
- Will be aware of and abide by all HIPAA requirements when effective.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Education: High School Diploma or equivalent
- Experience: Medical office experience or medical courses preferred, but not required.