Oneida, NY 13421
Oneida Health is an independent 101-bed acute care community hospital and a 160-bed extended-care facility (ECF) and short-term rehab facility licensed by the State of New York and operated by Oneida Health Systems, Inc., a New York not-for-profit corporation. The hospital is Joint Commission accredited.
We are proud to share that we have recognized for several national awards based upon safety of care as well as the patient experience of care. The first recognition is provided by The Leapfrog Group, a nationally recognized non-profit organization who reviews 30 patient quality and safety measures and assigns a letter grade to over 2,600 hospitals nationally based upon outcomes. The fall 2019 letter grade for OHC is a “B.”, our eighth consecutive “A” or “B”. Our hospital was also awarded 4 Stars for Patient Experience.
The second recognition is for the Healthgrades Patient Safety Excellence Award. Our hospital is among the top 10% nationally for patient safety and is 1 of only 16 hospitals in New York to receive this award for 2019. The third recognition is for the Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience Award. Our hospital is among the top 10% nationally for patient experience and is 1 of only 8 hospitals in New York to receive this award for 2019…with Oneida Health as the only hospital in New York State to receive both awards for 2019! We are also very proud of our CMS 4-Star overall rating for patient experience and CMS 5-Star for quality measures.
A Patient Access Representative will assist in the coordination, prioritization and completion of front-end patient registration activities ranging from pre-registration through discharge in the Patient Access Department. The representative will ensure patient insurance verification is accomplished and all requirements are met. Accurately completes patient registrations based on departmental protocols and standards, policies and procedures, and compliance with regulatory agencies.
Ensures all insurance requirements are met prior to or on the date of service and informs patients of their financial liability. Ensures all uninsured or underinsured patients are referred to a financial counselor for the NY State Market Place health coverage enrollment program to determine eligibility for the OHC Financial Assistance Program and Patient Financial Policy.
A Patient Access Representative will also assist patients, guarantors and families with insurance questions in a professional manner and is responsible for escalating any unaddressed insurance benefit concerns to the department Financial Counselor. Maintains confidentiality of patient information, employee information and other information covered by regulations or professional ethics. Performs duties in support of the OHC mission statement which states The Mission of Oneida Healthcare is to plan, promote, provide and coordinate the highest quality progressive and comprehensive health care services for the greater Oneida area and surrounding communities.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Demonstrates care and concern when interacting with and informing customers.
- Protects confidentiality/privacy and avoids gossip in verbal, written, and electronic forms of communication or information sharing.
- Demonstrates friendliness by smiling and making eye contact when greeting all customers.
- Provides helpful assistance in anticipating and responding to the needs of our customers (i.e. escorting, directing, and/or answering questions).
- Expresses ideas clearly, concisely and respectfully in written and verbal formats.
- Demonstrates effective communication and respect by using active listening skills, positive body language, and effective communication methods.
- Takes responsibility to communicate identified issues and concerns in a constructive manner and participates in generating ideas and solutions for improvements.
- Responds in a timely and appropriate way to verbal and written requests.
- Resolves conflicts in a constructive manner directly with the individual(s) involved.
- Provides and receives constructive feedback to facilitate improving individual and team performances.
- Accurately searches the database to establish if patient is new or an established patient.
- Obtains required signature for release of information in a timely manner, adhering to policy and procedures.
- Completes registration by verification of information for established patient or entering information for new patient prior to discharge of patient.
- Reconfirms date of birth and legal spelling of the patients’ name with guardian.
- Discusses, has signed and gives copies of all appropriate document information with patient or legal guardian. (HIPAA, Advanced Directives, Medicare Letter, etc.)
- Scans guarantor id and insurance cards.
- Follows up with direct admit patients where all registration information was not obtained at admission.
- Makes every attempt to collect co-pays as appropriate and documents in account notes the response if co-pay is not collected.
- Appropriately distributes registration paperwork according to departmental procedures.
Qualifications and Skills
Working knowledge of Health Plan coverage types
1-2 years clerical experience in a healthcare setting which included responsibility for customer service OR a comparable combination education and experience.
Current working knowledge of registration, insurance, and billing requirements is strongly preferred
Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
Experience using general office equipment
Proven ability to work in a fast-paced, demanding team environment with daily deadlines.