Oneida Health is an independent 101-bed acute care community hospital and a 160-bed extended-care facility (ECF) and short-term rehab facility licensed by the State of New York and operated by Oneida Health Systems, Inc., a New York not-for-profit corporation. The hospital is Joint Commission accredited.
We are proud to share that we have recognized for several national awards based upon safety of care as well as the patient experience of care. The first recognition is provided by The Leapfrog Group, a nationally recognized non-profit organization who reviews 30 patient quality and safety measures and assigns a letter grade to over 2,600 hospitals nationally based upon outcomes. The fall 2019 letter grade for OHC is a “B.”, our eighth consecutive “A” or “B”. Our hospital was also awarded 4 Stars for Patient Experience.
The second recognition is for the Healthgrades Patient Safety Excellence Award. Our hospital is among the top 10% nationally for patient safety and is 1 of only 16 hospitals in New York to receive this award for 2019. The third recognition is for the Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience Award. Our hospital is among the top 10% nationally for patient experience and is 1 of only 8 hospitals in New York to receive this award for 2019…with Oneida Health as the only hospital in New York State to receive both awards for 2019! We are also very proud of our CMS 4-Star overall rating for patient experience and CMS 5-Star for quality measures.
Provides clinical education and evaluation to nursing and patient care staff, and facilitates evidenced-based research within a specialized area of nursing. Ensures adherence to Joint Commission standards and all related OH policies, procedures, and guidelines. The OB Educator is responsible for developing, conducting and evaluating in-service programs, orientation and continuing education for Oneida Health nurses, students and other staff in OB. This position reports to the OB Nurse Manager.
1. Identify educational needs and plan for the education of staff as related to the care area.
2. Develops and directs orientation programs, in-services and continuing education for the nursing and auxiliary staff in a designated clinical department.
3. Coordinate the development of appropriate; materials to facilitate the education of staff.
4. Plan, develop, present, and evaluate educational programs as related to care.
5. Provide for the dissemination of current information and theories necessary for the advancement of patient care.
6. Interacts professionally with the nursing staff and nurse managers to determine specific educational needs and to coordinate educational programs to meet those needs.
7. Provide annual mandatory education for staff and competency development.
8. Collaborate with staff, management and other disciplines to diagnose problems and apply appropriate interventions to facilitate the change process.
9. Support and promote the change process.
10. Determine barriers to organization and delivery of patient care.
11. Develop and promote activities, which improve staff, patient and physician satisfaction, communication and reporting methods, and clinical practice.
12. Develop strategies to improve the organization/prioritization/time management in the delivery of patient care.
13. Improve preceptor/mentoring programs.
14. Ongoing assessment/development of education needs and programs.
15. Maintain and update staff records/files/education/competency files.
16. Provide feedback to Unit Managers to assist with evaluation of staff.
17. Assists with the coordination of performance improvement and continuous quality improvement activities.
18. Assists with organization-wide education projects.
19. Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Nursing required; Masters of Nursing preferred.
- 2 years recent L&D experience preferred
- Certification in BLS and ACLS
- Educator experience in Med/Surg and others areas of acute care nursing
- Must possess excellent communication, problem solving, and leadership skills
- Must be able to work autonomously and have computer skills in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Must possess Licensure for the State of New York Licensed Registered Nurse.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of clinical protocol, procedures, and standards within area of nursing expertise.
- Ability to provide operational guidance and leadership to technical staff in area of specialty.
- Knowledge of related accreditation and certification requirements.
- Ability to assess educational needs and design and develop appropriate curricula.
- Working knowledge of the use of established clinical and preceptorship models in the development of clinical education programs.
- Technical leadership skills within area of expertise.
- Advanced nursing skills in area of specialty.
- Ability to plan, implement, and evaluate individual patient care programs.
- Highly developed verbal and written communication skills and the ability to present effectively to small and large groups.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively at all levels in a collaborative team environment.