Oneida, NY 13421
Oneida Health is an independent 101-bed acute care community hospital and a 160-bed extended-care facility (ECF) and short-term rehab facility licensed by the State of New York and operated by Oneida Health Systems, Inc., a New York not-for-profit corporation. The hospital is Joint Commission accredited.
We are proud to share that we have recognized for several national awards based upon safety of care as well as the patient experience of care. The first recognition is provided by The Leapfrog Group, a nationally recognized non-profit organization who reviews 30 patient quality and safety measures and assigns a letter grade to over 2,600 hospitals nationally based upon outcomes. The fall 2019 letter grade for OHC is a “B.”, our eighth consecutive “A” or “B”. Our hospital was also awarded 4 Stars for Patient Experience.
The second recognition is for the Healthgrades Patient Safety Excellence Award. Our hospital is among the top 10% nationally for patient safety and is 1 of only 16 hospitals in New York to receive this award for 2019. The third recognition is for the Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience Award. Our hospital is among the top 10% nationally for patient experience and is 1 of only 8 hospitals in New York to receive this award for 2019…with Oneida Health as the only hospital in New York State to receive both awards for 2019! We are also very proud of our CMS 4-Star overall rating for patient experience and CMS 5-Star for quality measures.
This position reports to the Director of Respiratory Therapy. It is the Registered Respiratory Therapist’s responsibility to assess, treat and care for patients with breathing disorders; to initiate and conduct both diagnostic and therapeutic procedures; to maintain accurate and complete patient records; and to select, assemble, check and operate respiratory equipment used by the department. The registered therapist will also be a resource person for the department’s certified therapists and will assist with additional departmental responsibilities/tasks at the Department Director’s request. May include work in Sleep Lab.
Responsibilities and Duties
1. Administer department modalities and diagnostic procedures according to set procedures.
2. Inspect, clean, test and maintain respiratory equipment to ensure equipment is functioning safely and efficiently, making the Director aware when repairs are necessary.
3. Will be familiar with technical aspects of the equipment used by the department and be able to apply these to the different situations which may arise in the clinical setting.
4. Educate patients and their families about their respiratory conditions and teach appropriate disease management techniques.
5. Read prescriptions, measure arterial blood gasses and review patient information to assess patient condition.
6. Abides by all hospital and department policies.
7. Cleans and disinfects respiratory equipment as needed.
8. Assures floor stock of respiratory care items is available, including transport oxygen tanks.
9. Keeps accurate and complete records of therapy administered under the context of patient care.
10. Assumes additional responsibility/assignments as needed by the Director.
11. Assists Director in Quality Improvement activities.
12. Resource person for Certified Therapists and other ancillary staff.
Qualifications and Skills
Education: Must be a graduate of an approved Respiratory Care program.
Must be Registered or Registry eligible with The National Board for Respiratory Care.
Experience: Preferably one year of clinical experience.
Licensure: Current New York State licensure or limited permit status.