We all want our kids to be healthy and happy yet in this fast-paced, fast-food world we live in, it is becoming increasingly difficult to keep our bodies in optimal shape. That’s why Oneida Health in conjunction with the Oneida YMCA has established the first program of its kind in our county to provide a resource for our kids.
Fit Kids of Madison County is a 26 week intensive program of fitness and nutrition for the whole family. Middle school age children that meet stringent criteria will receive personalized instruction with a trainer. In addition to fitness, participants and their families also benefit from learning vital information on shopping for and preparing delicious meals as well as group and individualized sessions aimed at healthy habits and behaviors.
Fit Kids of Madison County Testimonial
Fit Kids of Madison County is a community based, medically referred, interventional program for overweight and/or obese children, ages 12-14 in Madison County, New York. Hospitals across the country are working to address basic social and personal needs as a way to improve their communities’ health. Working with community health partners to provide a sustainable program that will become a template for other areas of the county to follow is one of our goals.
The current program model is designed to serve middle school-aged individuals. The program is 100% grant and sponsor funded and is subject to that continuation.
Fit Kids of Madison County is designed to:
- Create a health assessment for each participant with a 3-generation genogram to document family health issues and provide a specific focus for health improvement
- Complete behavioral, nutritional and fitness baseline assessments for each participant
- Set goals for each component with baseline measures
- Document weekly, midpoint and ending measures for the three disciplines of fitness, nutrition and habits/behaviors for each participant
- Assign a personal trainer to work with each participant as scheduled for the duration of the program
- Provide nutrition and behavioral education to participants and families throughout the duration of the program
- Conduct weekly nutritional and/or behavioral sessions in group and 1:1 formats to address weekly targets and goal review
How to Enroll:
Children are referred to Fit Kids of Madison County who have a critical need for health improvement. Most have early co-morbidities consistent with serious chronic disease, which is now expected to shorten lifespan for this generation of children, unless significant lifestyle change is affected.
Referrals to the program are made by a primary physician, based on a BMI at or greater than the 85th percentile for weight, consistent with the global definition of obesity. The age range of 12-14 year olds is consistent with the middle school age population.