Traditional surgery, while effective, can cause signifigant pain, trauma, and long recover processes. Fortunately, less invasive options are available. For complex hysterectomies and other gynecologic procedures, robot-assisted surgery with the da Vinci® Surgical System may be an effective, less invasive treatment option.
“Through tiny, 1- to 2-centimeter incisions, surgeons using the da Vinci® System can operate with greater precision and control, minimizing the pain and risk associated with large incisions while increasing the likelihood of a fast recovery and excellent clinical outcomes.”
Robotic Surgery vs. Traditional Surgery
Traditional open gynecologic surgery, using a large incision for access to the uterus and surrounding anatomy, has for many years been the standard approach to many gynecologic procedures. Yet with open surgery can come significant pain, trauma, a long recovery process and threat to surrounding organs and nerves. For women facing gynecologic surgery, the period of pain, discomfort and extended time away from normal daily activities that usually follows traditional surgery can understandably cause significant anxiety.
Alternatively, the Robotic Surgery Center at Oneida Health offers a minimal invasive approach to hysterectomy and other GYN procedures. With the help of the Da Vinci surgical system, surgeons are able to make tiny incisions with greater control and precision. The Da Vinci helps reduces the surgical risk and allows our clients to return to normal activity in just 2 weeks.
DaVinci GYN surgery offers many benefits including:
- Low Blood Loss
- Low rate of complications
- Shorter hospital stay
- Faster recovery time
- Minimal scarring
How Does da Vinci Surgery Work?
With the da Vinci® System, surgeons operate through a few small incisions instead of a large open incision – similar to traditional laparoscopy. The da Vinci® System features a magnified 3D high-definition vision system and special wristed instruments that bend and rotate far greater than the human wrist. As a result, da Vinci enables your surgeon to operate with enhanced vision, precision, dexterity and control.
State-of-the-art da Vinci® uses the latest in surgical and robotics technologies and is beneficial for performing complex and delicate surgery. Your surgeon is 100% in control of the da Vinci System, which translates his or her hand movements into smaller, more precise movements of tiny instruments inside your body. da Vinci® – taking surgery beyond the limits of the human hand.
Depending on how severe your symptoms are, your treatments and conditions may differ. Some gynecologic conditions can be eased with lifestyle changes or medicine, and others may require surgery. With the minimal invasive approach helps reduces many of the risks and may be a more desirable alternative then many traditional approaches.
Common Types of GYN Conditions
- Fibroids – non-cancerous growths in the uterine wall
- Endometriosis- non-cancerous growths of the uterine line
- The tissue that lines your uterus also grows outside of your uterus. This tissue is called implants or lesions, and is usually found in your pelvic area.
- Endometriosis is usually diagnosed between ages 25 to 35 but can occur anytime during a woman’s reproductive years, from menstruation through menopause.
- Prolapse – falling or slipping of the uterus
- Benign conditions may affect a woman’s reproductive system
Common Gynecologic symptoms
Many common symptoms of gynecologic are abdominal pain, bleeding and swelling or bloating. Depending on your gynecologic condition you may experience more then one symptoms:
- Pelvic discomfort
- Pelvic pressure
- Abdominal tenderness
- Abdominal cramps
- Back pain
- Painful urination and/or bowel movements
- Pain during intercourse
- Very heavy or abnormal bleeding
- Bleeding longer than 7 days
- Periods lasting longer than 21 days
- Periods more than 35 days apart
- Spotting/bleeding between periods
- Spotting/bleeding after menopause
- Passing blood clots
- Bleeding after intercourse
- Vaginal discharge tinged with blood
- Difficulty urinating or having bowel movements
- Feeling of pressure on your bladder or rectum
- Slipping or dropping of your vagina or uterus
- Feeling heaviness or pressure in your pelvis
- Constant abdominal pressure
- Swelling or bloating
- Urgent need to urinate
- Recurrent urinary tract infections
- Pain while standing or walking
Talk to you Doctor if your are bothered by any of the symptoms above.