A Message from Gene F. Morreale
August 27, 2020
Dear Member of the Community,
As we all continue to respond to the challenges created by the COVID-19 pandemic, I thought it important that I share this update regarding Oneida Health.
In my May 7th community update, reference was made to our efforts to open up our services, using appropriate infection control precautions. We have had great success in this regard thanks to the responsiveness of our staff as well as those who have come to us for care. Although the numbers of patients served overall are slightly below pre-COVID volume, our services and programs are functioning very well. We have equipped our staff with sufficient supply of Personal Protective Equipment and cleaning materials. This approach to date has been sufficient to ensure safe care for all who present to us.
All services and programs are now fully operational and we will continue our efforts to provide care in a safe, high quality, patient satisfying manner. Some updates for your information:
- Our Obstetrical service has been busy, delivering beautiful, healthy babies. We have been joined by a new provider, Dr. Regina Farrell who is accepting new patients. In addition, Dr. Miriam Bernstein will be joining us on October 5th and she is also accepting new patients. Our OB/GYN service is growing and we look forward to providing you with exceptional maternal/newborn care.
- The Emergency Department is open 24/7. Under the direction of Dr. Kirby Black, we have a very talented group of board certified Physicians and Physician Extenders. We by no means have been overrun with COVID positive patients. The actual number of positives seen in the ED remains very low. Most days, we have 0!
- Our Imaging Services has recently gone through a significant upgrade. The outpatient Gorman Imaging Center was expanded and remodeled to provide you with a better experience. We also installed a new, more powerful MRI for faster and more detailed views. A second 3D mammography unit was added, a new 3D Ultrasound installed as well as a new PET/CT. Our imaging technology is second to none in our region and with our competent technicians as well as Dr. Kirwin Gibbs interpreting your test results, it is truly exceptional imaging care.
- Our Cancer Center continues to grow, not only in the volume of patients serviced, but also in services we provide. Together with our partner, Roswell Park Cancer Center, we have brought on two very competent, compassionate Roswell physicians. Dr. Roberto Martinez in our hospital based clinic and Dr. Maya Mathew in our Radiation Oncology center. We will soon be adding several Roswell Park specialists to our campus with the goal of providing your care locally. What is also exciting is that we are working closely with Roswell Park to bring the latest Clinical Trials to our campus. No doubt this program will provide to our community members exceptional oncology care, close to home. That has always been our vision. More to come on our expansion of services soon.
- Robotic Surgery is an important part of the services we offer. This past November, we upgraded to the newest daVinci robotics platform. Our robotics program, which began in 2012, has continued to grow and achieve great results. We provide GYN robotics, General Surgery robotics as well as Urology robotics. This minimally invasive approach to care continues to evolve and we are pleased to offer this option to you.
- Our GI services provided currently by Dr. Uzma Abbasi is thriving. A second GI provider, Dr. Rahsaan Friend will be joining us this September. We will be offering not only Endoscopy procedures, we will also be offering a number of high tech procedures, Endoscopic Ultraresonography as well as ERCP. Our talented GI physicians will also offer acid reflux treatment as well as a number of office based procedures.
- Our Extended Care Facility has not had one of its 140 plus residents test positive for COVID-19. This is an area we have focused on and our staff have done a wonderful job of keeping our residents safe. We remain committed to providing safe, high quality care to our many residents. We provide exceptional rehabilitative and long term care.
I will close this update restating our commitment to you, those of our community who choose us for care. We will continue our focus of providing the exceptional care in a safe, clean, high tech environment.
Thank you for your support and for choosing Oneida Health for your care.
Gene F. Morreale
President and CEO
About Oneida Health
Oneida Health serves an area comprised of approximately 29 communities in Madison and western Oneida counties with a population of approximately 100,000. Operated by Oneida Health Systems, Inc, a New York State not-for-profit corporation, the organization includes a 101-bed acute care hospital, emergency department, state of the art surgery center, 160-bed extended-care and short-term rehab facility, primary care offices, internal medicine, comprehensive lab services, home medical equipment, comprehensive imaging services, outpatient therapy, and care specialties in: oncology, neurology, podiatry, vascular, sleep, OB/GYN, orthopedics, wound care, GI, and ENT. To learn more about Oneida Health, visit www.oneidahealth.org.